Alan Godfrey Maps
Heaton Park 1907Code:
Godfrey Map Number 96.10. Lancashire: Heaton Park 1907 Manchester and Salford are famous for the creation of the first municipal public parks in 1846. However, Heaton Park is the largest of Manchester’s public parks, covering 650 acres (just over a square mile). It was acquired by the City in 1902, and this (second) edition shows the park at the start of municipal ownership. About three-quarters of the park is shown on this sheet, the remaining area to the north included a mixture of open and wooded land, a fish pond, and reservoir was consiructed over part of the northern park. It includes: Heaton House; Heaton Mills; High Bank Bowker Vale; Middleton Road Dye Works; Hill Top House; Rooden Lane; Sheepfoot Lane; part of Victoria Avenue with Middleton Road, etc.