Welcome to the MLFHS Online Shop
Cart 0
Wigan 1928

Alan Godfrey Maps

Wigan 1928


Godfrey Map Number 93.08b. Wigan 1928 15” to 1 mile. This map is a later edition of the map of Wigan (Code 3331 Wigan 1907). At first glance it is little different from that of the previous 1907 edition. The railway and canal systems are much as before, the only significant change being the singling of the Round House Branch, leading to eventual closure in the 1930s. Housing and the street layout are also little changed with some streets still incomplete on the earlier map – eg Wrightington Street – showing few signs of further building; nor is there much sign of slum clearance in the Scholes area, where crowded courts survive. Minor changes include the development of schools, the retrenchment of smaller collieries, the building of the Empress Spinning Mill in 1907

Share this Product

More from this collection